Ok, so today it was announced by Viacom that Faking it wasn’t renewed because it had such poor ratings according to them. They said that only 330,000 people watched this season. Regardless of the reasons, there is an outpouring of people who don’t want it to die.
I am one of them. However, we can be angry or we can solve this problem. I have a solution as do others. However, I can’t do this alone. My voice here and on line is small because I write. I am not famous. This is a controversial subject that generates backlash.
Nevertheless, this is what I propose and what I plan to do.
I will start a kickstarter to move the rights to us. Apparently people don’t understand what rights mean or simply don’t believe its possible. They are wrong.
- MTV/Viacom owns the rights. The rights are the ability for Katie and Rita to be Karma and Amy, the names of the places like the ‘brew and chew’, Hester Hight etc. This does include the distribution of the show and the media itsself.
- We don’t need that. We need the right to make more of Faking it and the right to use the intellectual property which is exactly what Faking it is to the people who run Viacom.
- Right now, I believe the writers of Faking Dan steele etc and carter have ideas and plans for Faking it. However, they work just like the guy at the mcdonalds, starbucks target Forever 21 does. This was their job and they were all fired effectively. So this could mean they would be rehired to finish or it can mean we get their stuff only.
- This isn’t an easy thing I am suggesting. Its a hard, expensive thing That could cost hundreds of thousands. I know that sounds intimidating. But numerous other shows have been produced on Kickstarter. The best example is Veronica Mars. The entire movie budget was funded by 91,585 backers who pledged $5,702,153 to help bring this project to life. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/194429923/star-trek-prelude-to-axanar also showed that people who love a show can donate to make a copy. This is done so well that Paramount is suing because it looks and sounds better than their once. Problem is they don’t have the right to do it. That’s why I am posting this.
- So we need to collect the money and then a person we all trust can go to talk to MTV and sign rights transfer documents that would have MTV effectively sell the rights we need to a company that we the fans own.
- I can set up the kickstarter page and be the tip of the spear but I would need assurances this is a waste of my time.
- So what needs to be done and how much would it cost? That depends on what we want? Do you want one final 20 minute (thats how long the show is without commercials) show that gives us #karmy? Or do you want a book?
- A show requires the sets and clothes, cinematographers etc plus paying Katie and Rita for their time,. This requires scripts to be written and scenes to be show. This would be in the neighborhood of $100,000. (check the axanar link)
- A book would require significantly less Like $10,000 to secure the publishing rights to use names and locations. I have no issue doing that myself. However, I would be willing to defer to others would be willing to do so. (thoughts on this later down)
- Once the money came in then the shell holding company can post the video on Youtube so everyone can see and prizes can be had.
Ok, thats all I can really explain. I haven’t heard back from Carter on how much an episode actually cost. I believe it was $45,000. I am going to set up the Kickstarter but I dont want to do that until I have an idea where the money goes. That money has to have a bank account to go into and it can’t be my personal one. This would be you alls money and I am not like that. You are all family.
So here is what I need. I need responses. I need you to comment on what you are willing to do. We need people to are skilled in these areas. People who live in LA. I have 860 following me. I have 50 people who read my fan fic. The truth is I don’t have the resources to do this alone. I can barely get my own stuff done because its so damn expensive.
MTV doesn’t think anything will change. They don’t care because they know money runs everything so we need to step up. Give up that frappucino or that pair of jeans to support the show.
This here is the saddest part. If nothing changes then I will still continue to include Amy and Karma into my stories. However, they won’t be in any story that I publish for profit. I will create a short story that will effectively wrap up what Carter et all were doing. It will live on Fanfiction.org so you all can read it but thats the best I can offer.
So For this to go live I need you all, are you with me? I need about 100 responses to start the ball rolling. If you have any question ask me. I will answer it.
Thanks. Michael Schade @thunderclap twitter @michael_thunderclap instagram Thunderclap@gmail.com I am the mod at r/fakingit on reddit.com